Welcome to a different episode of The Tim Ferriss Present, the place it’s normally my job to deconstruct world-class performers to tease out the routines, habits, et cetera that you could apply to your individual lives.
It is a particular episode and a turning of the tables. This time, legendary investor Invoice Gurley interviews me, and the recording is from earlier this 12 months at SXSW in Austin, TX. The dialog explores a few of my classes realized and favourite findings during the last 20 years in areas like entrepreneurship, tech, and podcasting. I throw in some favourite books and different spice to maintain issues fascinating.
Invoice Gurley (@bgurley) has spent greater than 20 years as a basic companion at Benchmark. Earlier than coming into the venture-capital enterprise, Invoice spent 4 years on Wall Road as a top-ranked analysis analyst, together with three years at Credit score Suisse First Boston. Over his enterprise profession, he has labored with such corporations as GrubHub, Nextdoor, OpenTable, Stitch Fix, Uber, and Zillow.
For extra takeaways from his unimaginable investing profession, you’ll find my interview with Invoice at tim.weblog/billgurley.
As a facet notice, my 2007 SXSW speech that I point out within the interview is what began all of it, in lots of senses. It’s what put my first guide, The 4-Hour Workweek, on the radar of influential bloggers and greater media retailers, in the end touchdown it on The New York Occasions Finest Sellers checklist, the place it stayed, kind of, for the subsequent seven years. It’s been a wild trip.
You’ll be able to hear that 2007 presentation at tim.weblog/sxsw.
One very last thing: Hugh Forrest, for those who’re listening, thanks once more for giving me a shot method again within the day!
Please get pleasure from!
Take heed to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, or in your favourite podcast platform. Watch the conversation on YouTube here.
The transcript of this episode could be discovered right here. Transcripts of all episodes could be discovered right here.
#682: Invoice Gurley Interviews Tim Ferriss — Reflecting on 20+ Years of Life and Enterprise Experiments
This episode is dropped at you by Secureframe! Secureframe’s industry-leading compliance automation platform, paired with their in-house compliance consultants and former auditors, helps you get audit-ready in weeks, not months, so you’ll be able to shut extra offers sooner.
Secureframe simplifies and streamlines the method of getting and staying compliant to essentially the most rigorous world privateness and safety requirements. They assist 1000’s of companies obtain compliance with safety and privateness frameworks together with SOC 2, ISO 27001, HIPAA, PCI, and GDPR. Schedule a demo in the present day at Secureframe.com, and inform them through the demo that Tim Ferriss despatched you to unlock 10% off on your first 12 months.
This episode is dropped at you by AG1! I get requested on a regular basis, “If you happen to may use just one complement, what would it not be?” My reply is normally AG1, my all-in-one dietary insurance coverage. I beneficial it in The 4-Hour Physique in 2010 and didn’t receives a commission to take action. I do my finest with nutrient-dense meals, in fact, however AG1 additional covers my bases with nutritional vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that assist intestine well being and the immune system.
Proper now, you’ll get their Vitamin D Liquid System free together with your first subscription buy—a significant nutrient for a robust immune system and powerful bones. Go to DrinkAG1.com/Tim to assert this particular provide in the present day and obtain the free Vitamin D Liquid System (and 5 free AG1 journey packs) together with your first subscription buy! That’s as much as a one-year provide of Vitamin D as added worth while you strive their scrumptious and complete all-in-one day by day greens product.
This episode is dropped at you by Eight Sleep! Eight Sleep’s Pod Cover is the best and quickest strategy to sleep on the excellent temperature. It pairs dynamic cooling and heating with biometric monitoring to supply essentially the most superior (and user-friendly) answer available on the market. Merely add the Pod Cover to your present mattress and begin sleeping as cool as 55°F or as sizzling as 110°F. It additionally splits your mattress in half, so your companion can select a completely completely different temperature.
Go to EightSleep.com/Tim and save $250 on the Eight Sleep Pod Cowl. Eight Sleep presently ships inside the USA, Canada, the UK, choose international locations within the EU, and Australia.
Need to hear the final time Invoice Gurley was on this podcast and I was the one asking all of the questions? Take heed to our dialog during which we mentioned essentially the most environment friendly short-form MBA one can discover, sell-side analysts vs. buy-side analysts, repurposing good concepts for various functions, undervalued aggressive benefits, the Santa Fe Institute, learn how to domesticate anti-tribalism, issues open supply can resolve, and far more.
#651: Legendary Investor Invoice Gurley on Investing Guidelines, Discovering Outliers, Insights from Jeff Bezos and Howard Marks, Should-Learn Books, Creating True Aggressive Benefits, Open-Supply Methods, Adapting Psychological Fashions to New Realities, and Extra
What was your favourite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Join with Invoice Gurley:
- Featured Session: Turning the Tables on Tim Ferriss: A Conversation with Bill Gurley | SXSW 2023
- Legendary Investor Invoice Gurley on Investing Guidelines, Discovering Outliers, Insights from Jeff Bezos and Howard Marks, Should-Learn Books, Creating True Aggressive Benefits, Open-Supply Methods, Adapting Psychological Fashions to New Realities, and Extra | The Tim Ferriss Present #651
- Department of East Asian Studies | Princeton University
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferriss | Amazon
- Hobee’s Stanford | Yelp
- The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Timothy Ferriss and the ‘4-Hour’ Exit | The Globe and Mail
- Angel Investing: What It Is and How to Start | NerdWallet
- Tim Ferriss’ Angel Investing Profile | Signal
- Goodbye, StumbleUpon, One of the Last Great Ways to Find Good Things Online | The Verge
- Tim Ferriss’s Favorite Investment Is Uber (Video) | The Business Journals
- How to Increase Your Luck Surface Area | Codus Operandi
- From SF to Shenzhen: How Tech Hubs Are Built by Tanay Jaeel | LinkedIn
- Lost Generation: Paris, 1920s | Scott and Zelda
- A Fictional World Built for These Chaotic Times | The Legend of CØCKPUNCH
- The Misplaced Presentation That Launched The 4-Hour Workweek — “Secrets and techniques of Doing Extra with Much less in a Digital World” from SXSW 2007 | The Tim Ferriss Present #548
- Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS | WordPress
- The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Tim Ferriss Episodes | The Joe Rogan Podcast
- Tim Ferriss | ID10T (Formerly The Nerdist Podcast) Episode 72
- Tim Ferriss | WTF with Marc Maron Episode 355
- Tim Ferriss | The Adam Carolla Show
- Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders | Six Degrees to Joe Rogan: A Podcast Network Analysis
- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History Podcast
- Inside the Actors Studio | Bravo TV
- 10 Best Films That Tackle Toxic Influencer Culture | Screen Rant
- Welcome to 5-Bullet Friday | Tim Ferriss
- Dungeons & Dragons Art & Arcana: A Visual History by Michael Witwer, Kyle Newman, Jon Peterson, and Sam Witwer | Amazon
- To Be Clear: Do Not Build Your Brand House on Land You Don’t Own | John Battelle’s Search Blog
- Discovering the One Resolution That Removes 100 Choices (or, Why I’m Studying No New Books in 2020) | Tim Ferriss
- How I Built This with Guy Raz | Wondery
- This American Life
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing by Al Ries and Jack Trout | Amazon
- Lex Fridman Podcast
- Invest Like the Best with Patrick O’Shaughnessy
- An Update on Changes to Spotify’s Podcast Business, June 2023 | Spotify
- How Spotify’s Podcast Plan Went off the Rails | The Verge
- “I’ll DM You Now” | Tim Ferriss, Twitter
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Sponsored InMail | LinkedIn Marketing Solutions
- Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos by M. Mitchell Waldrop | Amazon
- Science for a Complex World | Santa Fe Institute
- Mr. China: A Memoir by Tim Clissold | Amazon
- The Tao of Seneca: Letters from a Stoic Grasp (aka The Ethical Letters to Lucilius) | Tim Ferriss
- Awareness: The Perils and Opportunities of Reality by Anthony de Mello | Amazon
- The Angels Knocking on the Tavern Door: Thirty Poems of Hafez | Amazon
- Eight of the Very Best Nail Clippers 2023 | The Strategist
- Raynaud’s Disease Symptoms and Causes | Mayo Clinic
- HotHands Hand Warmers | Amazon
- Mittens | Amazon
- The Truth About the New York Times and WSJ Bestseller Lists | Observer
- Publishing Industry Data | NPD BookScan
- Today’s Book: The 4-Hour Workweek | Scobleizer
- Nonviolent Communication: Create Your Life, Your Relationships, and Your World in Harmony with Your Values by Marshall B. Rosenberg | Amazon
- [06:32] From Princeton to podcasting.
- [07:39] How a disenchanted entrepreneur grew to become a reluctant writer.
- [14:22] Angel investing and The 4-Hour Physique.
- [16:40] Investing rulesets and takeaways.
- [19:09] How a alternative location maximizes serendipity.
- [20:42] Why did I again away from angel investing?
- [22:28] Getting into the blogosphere.
- [27:02] Why podcasting?
- [28:33] Early and enduring classes for bettering the craft.
- [31:37] What makes a profitable podcaster?
- [34:57] The ability of direct communication with one’s viewers.
- [38:48] Leveraging a lean infrastructure.
- [40:34] Useful steps for efficient interview prep.
- [45:08] Revered podcasting friends.
- [48:00] Spotify’s foray into podcasting territory.
- [50:09] Twitter and LinkedIn.
- [53:15] Books most gifted.
- [55:31] Most positively efficient buy of $100 or much less.
- [55:30] Favourite failure.
- [57:50] Billboard.
- [58:49] Finest funding ever made.
- [59:30] Most life-improving new perception, habits, or behavior.
Associated and Really helpful
The Tim Ferriss Present is one of the most well-liked podcasts on the earth with greater than 900 million downloads. It has been chosen for “Better of Apple Podcasts” 3 times, it’s typically the #1 interview podcast throughout all of Apple Podcasts, and it has been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many events. To hearken to any of the previous episodes totally free, take a look at this web page.